Unitary Government:- In these types of Govt, all the powers are within the center govt. Also, the state govt has to obey their laws. Eg. France, Britain, Japan, Italy, and China.
Features of Unitary Government:-
- The constitution may be written or unwritten.
- Legislature may be bicameral or unicameral.
- The constitution may be supreme or not.
- The constitution may be rigid or not.
- No division of powers.
What is the Federal System?
Federal Government:– In these types of Govt, the powers are divided within the center and state. States here have their own power. Eg. the USA, Argentina, Brazil, Russia. We have the federal structure of India with us.
Is India a federal country?
- Yes, India is a federal country but not like the US and Canada.
Here the facts to be known is that in the federal system the subunits can be named as States, Cantons, Provinces, and Republics. In India, it is known as the States.
Which are the oldest federalism countries in World?
- They are the USA in 1787 and Canada in 1867.
Why did India accept Federalism over the Unitary form of Govt?
The answer is simple if you go through history, geography, and Economics books. India is a diversified country with many languages, castes, religions present over here.
Also in today’s date, you can find some states which are developed like Maharashtra and Kerala. While many states are still fighting with issues like sex ratio.
Unitary has the feature of One country One language which is just impossible in India. Even today India doesn’t have its National language.
Constitution makers said India is a large country and it has socio-cultural diversity.
Did you Know?
In the whole Indian Constitution no were the word Federal is used.
Now you might be shocked, but let me throughout your misunderstanding.
In article 1 the word “Union of States” has been preferred as a “Federation of States”. Here makes the federal structure of India different.
India’s Federal System is the same as the Canadian Model, not the US Model.
Features of Indian Federal System:-
1. Division of powers between States and Centre.
2. India’s constitution is Rigid.
3. We have Independent Judiciary and there are 3-4 types of courts.
4. Only the constitution is supreme here.
Note:- Also India has some of the Unitary features build in it. They are as follows:-
1. Centre can change the name, the boundary of any state they want. they just require a simple majority in parliament.
2. India only has a single Constitution. In some countries, even the state can build its own constitution.
3. India has emergency provisions in it. There are three types of emergency national, state, financial.
Here we discussed everything about the Federal Structure of India. How does it work, how was it brought, features of Federalism in India? We can conclude here that India is a federal country, but not only a federal country. We too have many Unitary features with us. Hope you like the information we provided here.
Plzzzz share the article.