What is Disease?
Tags: what is disease, what is communicable disease, what is deficiency disease, about diseases, types of diseases, acute disease, kinds of diseases.
The word disease actually means “not at ease” or departure from health.
The condition of the body in which vital functions are disturbed physiology or psychologically is known as Disease. This basic definition of what is disease.
Symptoms of the disease are the changes in the body that makes one feel sick or unwell.
It is the feeling which indicates the presence of a disease or abnormality but it does not always pinpoint what actually is the disease.
Eg. Headache and pain, itching, cough, and cold loss of appetite.
Signs of the disease are what the medical practitioners look for, on the basis of symptoms.
Signs give a definite indication for the interference of the presence of a particular disease so, signs are indicators of the disease.
Each disease have its particular sign, which means different disease have different signs.
The Symptoms and Signs of the disease depend upon the target of the pathogen in the human body.
Eg. When the lungs are the target, the symptoms are cough and breathlessness, when the liver is the target there are jaundice and accumulation of fluids in the various body cavities.
The symptoms of the different diseases may be the same but signs of different diseases are always different.
Types of diseases:-
Actually, there are many types of diseases, but we will see the classification step by step.
- Type-based on the duration for which disease lasts.
- Type-based on the causes of the disease.
- Type-based on the mode of transmission of disease.
- Type-based on the type of pathogens.
A) Acute disease:-
What is acute disease?
Diseases that last for a short duration is an acute disease. This disease gets cured earlier without getting cured, this will end up in the death of the patient.
Eg. Ebola, swine flu.
B) Chronic disease:-
A disease that lasts for a long time sometimes even for life lifetime is called chronic disease.
eg. diabetes, tuberculosis.
This disease stays inside one body for a very long duration and can be treated after a lot of effort or may the patient died due to this disease.
Type-based on the transmission of disease:
There are three main types:-
A) Endemic disease:–
Some diseases are found only in certain areas.
What is endemic disease?
The disease which is found to occur to some people in a particular type of area suddenly is known as an endemic disease.
B) Epidemic disease:-
The disease spread from place to place affecting a large number of people.
Eg:- typhoid epidemic can spread during a pilgrimage, Cholera, tuberculosis, Swine Flu is other examples.
C) Pandemic diseases:–
The disease got spread worldwide pandemic disease.
This are kinds of diseases.
Type-based on the cause of the disease:-
Cause actually means the responsible factor of disease.
A) Infectious diseases:-
1)The disease which is caused by pathogens are known as infectious disease.
2) Depending upon its transmission they are again classified into the following three types:-
a) Epidemic infectious disease:-
Due to changes in the environment, polluted water e.t.c disease can occur to many people at a time this is known as an epidemic disease.
Eg. Typhoid, diarrhea, influenza e.t.c
b) Communicable disease:-
What is Communicable disease?
Because of continuous contact pathogens from the patient may reach to normal person via various means of communicability such as air these are known as communicable disease.
Eg. tuberculosis, influenza.
c) Contagious disease:-
Because of continuous contact with the patient pathogens inside the patient can cause infection to normal human beings which may transmit through touch close contact these are known as a contagious disease.
Eg. Scabies, eczema, ringworm.
B) Non-infectious disease:-
Such disease is not caused by any pathogen and also this disease reminds restricted to an affected person only.
These are caused due to the internal factor of the body of the patient.
This disease is not transmitted.
Eg hereditary disease, night blindness, cancer, diabetes, degenerative diseases are 30 days.
This are different types of diseases.
Type-based on type of pathogen involved:-
According to their modes of transmission type of cellular structure of pathogen and their nutrition into the following types:-
What is the recovery time for the coronavirus disease?
It usually depends upon the patient to patient but on averages, it takes 7-8 days.
Levels responsible for the occurrence about diseases:-
1) Level 1 self negligence and unhygienic
2) Level 2 negligence of family
3) Level 3 Deficient/ faulty public facilities.
Some of the important points of the disease:-
1) Peptic Ulcer was caused by a bacteria named Helicobacter pylori treatment modality was invented by scientists Barry Marshall and Robin Warren in 1982 and they got Nobel Prize for the same in 2005.
2) The process of fermentation was invented by Lucius Pasta in 1857
3) The disease Anthrax is caused by bacteria name backless and these were discovered by Robert Koch.
4) The time period from the entry of bacteria virus inside the body up to the presentation of the first symptom is known as the incubation period.
5) The poliovirus found only in human beings
6) 7th April is celebrated as World Health Day every year
7) Macrophages and white blood cells (WBC) secret the chemical protein name “interferon” which gives protection from virus
8) When there is damage to cells due to infection chemical name histamine is secreted and due to this chemical, there is an increase in blood supply and temperature of the Injured part.
In this article, we studied diseases, their types, how does it get transmitted, and some important facts about them. Hope you all got an answer in simple words about what is disease.